Special Board Meeting Highlights - June 25, 2019
June 25, 2019 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Special Board meeting held on Tuesday, June 25, 2019. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Special Board meeting.
- The Board held its annual Organizational Meeting in addition to the regular Board Meeting. Trustee Lorraine Stewart was elected Board Chair by acclamation. Eric Cameron was elected Vice Chair by acclamation. All the new positions posted below as the result of the Organization meeting will be effective September 1, 2019. The Board Chair and Vice Chair will be sworn in at the Regular Board Meeting September 3, 2019.
"I am humbled by the vote of confidence from fellow trustees and am honoured and excited to serve as Board Chair for the 2019-2020 school year," stated Trustee Stewart.
"I have been mentored for the past two years by Eric Cameron, who has provided integrity and admirable leadership to the Board. I am proud to collaborate with my colleagues who clearly emphasize student success and well-being in all their decisions. We really are a future-focused and innovative organization."
"I am honored to serve as Vice Chair on the Board of Trustees for PSD." stated Trustee Cameron.
"It has been my privilege to serve as Board Chair for all these years. Our dynamic team of Governors and Executive leadership keep the desire to serve students alive. It's an exciting time to be in education and I look forward to living out our new vision and mission daily."
- The following committee positions were also chosen:
- Education Committee Chairperson (Anne Montgomery)
- Student Advisory Committee Chairperson (Anne Montgomery)
- Benefit Plan Advisory Committee (Lorraine Stewart)
- Teacher/Board Advisory Committee (Eric Cameron, Ron Heinrichs, Lorraine Stewart)
- Audit Committee (Ron Heinrichs, Paul McCann, Anne Montgomery)
- Advocacy Committee Chairperson (Paul McCann)
- Alberta School Boards Association, Zone II (Eric Cameron,Darlene Clarke)
- Public School Boards' Association (Ron Heinrichs,Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Stony Plain Joint-Use Committee (Paul McCann)
- Spruce Grove Joint-Use Committee (Anne Montgomery)
- Alberta Teachers' Association Labour Relations (Eric Cameron, Darlene Clarke, Anne Montgomery)
- Central Alberta Assocation of Municipal and School Employees Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Ron Heinrichs, Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- International Union of Operating Engineers Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson, Paul McCann)
- Council of School Councils (Paul McCann, Anne Montgomery)
- Teachers' Employer Bargaining Association Representative (Eric Cameron)
- Rural Caucus of Alberta School Boards (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- The Board approved the Quarterly Financial Report for the period ending May 31, 2019. As of May 31st, 2019, revenues year to date were $102.1M and expenditures year to date were $104.0M resulting in a deficit of $1.9M. A deficit of $677K is forecast for year ended August 31, 2019.
- The Board approved the 2019-2020 Education Plan. The plan guides the strategic plans for the Division and Schools for the following year. The Education Plan for 2019-2020 and beyond are featured primarily as web-based in order to facilitate community access. The Education Plan is a key component in the education planning cycle which involves:
- Developing and updating plans that are aligned with provincial goals, outcomes and performance measures and the Division's Vision, Mission, Values and Beliefs;
- Promoting meaningful community engagement;
- Preparing budgets in alignment with resource stewardship, and that support student learning to achieve the Ultimate Goal of Student Success and Well-being; and,
- Implementing strategies to maintain or improve students learning and achievement.
- The Board approved the Preliminary Budget for 2019-20 which has to be submitted to Alberta Education by June 30th. The preliminary budget indicates an operating deficit of $416,042 offset by the use of operating reserves. The total revenue is $132,806,272 with expenses of $133,222,314.
- The Board of Trustees approved the Fees and Allowances, as amended, for 2019-2020.
- In the March 5, 2019 Fee Schedule, a fee of $3750 ($375 per month) is charged for participation in the Nature Kindergarten Program. This fee is collected to offset the staffing and operational costs as AB Education funds Kindergarten students at a .5 FTE rate.
- In 2019-2020, a pilot Full Day, Everyday French Immersion program is planned for École Broxton Park School. It is the intent to charge the fee of $3750 ($375 per month) to cover the unfunded portion of the staffing and operational costs.
- The previous Fee Allowances for 2019-2020 did not include a Fee for Adult Students. In some situations, it would be beneficial to charge an Adult Student Fee to allow students to finish their programs. This would be typically done through an Outreach or Alternative Education setting. Based on a comparison to other school jurisdictions, the new fee will be $100 per credit.