Board Meeting Highlights - February 7, 2017
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, February 7, 2017. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board welcomed a delegation from various schools and community partner TransAlta TriLeisure Centre for an update on the PLAY Parkland (Physical Literacy and You) movement happening in Parkland School Division. In partnership with Canadian Sport 4 Life and Ever Active Schools, Parkland School Division has partnered with recreation and sports to build capacity in the area of physical literacy throughout our classrooms because evidence demonstrates that this form of literacy is linked to lifelong wellness.
- The Board received as information a Class Size Initiative Report delivered by Associate Superintendent, Scott Johnston.
- The Board received as information the Occupational Health and Safe Report as delivered by Director of Facilities, Serge LaBrie.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for the period ending December 31, 2016. The year-to-date surplus is $1.1 million dollars.Total revenues are at 34.4% of the final budget of $127,538,751. Total expenses are at 33.5% of the final budget of $127,581,618. The target percentage for this period was 33.3%.
- The Board approved the motion to send a trustee to the National Congress on Rural Education in Canada to be held this year in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Trustee Sally Kucher-Johnson will attend.
- The Board had a first reading of By-Law No. 1-17, Rearrangement of the Electoral Wards and Trustee(s) to be Elected to Each Ward. The process for the by-law was also approved which includes the first reading February 7, 2017, a second reading at a Special Board Meeting February 23, 2017 and then the by-law would be passed following a third separate and distinct reading.
- The Board authorized Parkland School Division's administration to enter into Joint Election Agreements between Parkland School Division No. 70 and Parkland County, Town of Stony Plain and City of Spruce Grove for the 2017 Local Election.
- The Board approved the recommendation to appoint Doug Tymchyshyn as the returning officer for Parkland School Division No. 70 for the 2017 Local Election.